Saturday, September 3, 2016

Globetrotting? More like Southeast Asia trotting

I've been doing a lot of short distance travel for my part time job with the race timing company. I usually try to take jobs in the vicinity of Bangkok as they allow me to work all night until maybe noon the next day.

Sometimes I do a two day weekend farther away from Bangkok. These are much more difficult because the whole weekend is taken up and I have no time to relax from my full time job. I try to minimize the Saturday/Sunday races.

A month ago I went to Singapore for two days for a triathlon. It was solid work, no sleep, no tourism. It was hard work. I told myself and Pae that I would avoid taking the two day weekend jobs as they really leave me beat for the next week's work.

This week, one of the guys I work with asked me if I wanted to work a half marathon in Luang Prabang, Laos....THREE DAYS!!!

My initial feeling was HELL NO!!!

Eventually, after talking to Pae and looking at our schedules, I decided to commit to the Laos race ;) I figured, if I can work this three days, it leaves me with the option of not working many other weekends ;) I'll meet my part time work "salary" goal in just one weekend.

Let's see how that goes though.

As I work more and work more difficult races, I have the chance to work some of the even bigger events around Southeast Asia. I'd love to go work the Vietnam Mountain Marathon, for example! I know I'd struggle to do well in that one as a runner, so being there with the runners and earning at the same time would be just as good!

There are also other Singapore events, Malaysia, Cambodia, Philippines, etc. I even know of one in the Maldives. You never know!! We'll see. For now, I just want to stay healthy while trying to get my three events per month.

Oh, I'm off to Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur) in two days as part of an exploratory committee for a student exchange program that we have proposed. I'll be there for three days of meetings and tours of different school campuses.

Who knows, maybe I'll eventually travel to all of the Southeast Asian countries! (Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Brunei, Philippines, +)

Now that I think of it, when it comes to globetrotting...I was just thinking of when Pae used to work for Royal Jordanian Airlines...All of these Middle Eastern countries that are now in turmoil...she flew to them daily! Each of the following she flew to...and I might be leaving some out: Iraq, Syria, Turkey, Jordan, Egypt, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Dubai, Qatar, Kuwait, Lebanon. WOW!!!!! I'll skip those!! Vietnam sounds safer!! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...