Monday, May 16, 2016

One of our favorite meals at Chatuchak Market

This is not a food blog, but a few weeks ago when Anne passed through Bangkok for the first time, I took her to a place (literal hole in the wall) that Pae and I really like to eat. I don't even know the name of the place to be honest ;) although it's in this picture on the white sign.

Not sure why it is so good, I got very sick the first time I ever ate it ten years ago. But now, it's must eat fare anytime we are in the area. It is sooooooo hot where you wait for your food and eat, but the food is absolutely worth the discomfort. I didn't take photos when I ate it with Anne, but a week later, Pae and I went again and here are some of the things we love to eat there!
Larb Moo or Spicy Pork Salad. This is a northeastern Thailand dish. The region is called Isaan, so the food is also called Isaan food. This is one of my favorite Larbs in Bangkok. Sour, crunch with the Khao Khua or crushed roasted rice mixed in. I especially love the sourness of this dish. Sometimes it's too spicy for me, but I eat it anyway.


Tom Yam Gung or Shrimp Tom Yam Soup. Very Thai, full of herbs such as lemongrass, galangal, basil, etc. (some people put basil, not most). This particular place puts bamboo shoots in it too, which add a crunch and flavor that is just perfect. Funny, it's so hot at the restaurant, yet we still eat piping hot, spicy food there!


Thai Omelet! Yeah, this is one of the champions of Bangkok. SO simple, eggs, ground pork, onions and whatever spices they throw in the egg (salt, MSG, etc.) They just throw the whole concoction in super hot oil and it gets all puffy like this. Oily, but so good! I like to drip my Tom Yam on it and eat it with rice.


This is "Hoy Krang" which is a certain kind of clam. This particular one is boiled or steamed and ends up having a very bloody look to each clam. There is a spicy dipping sauce that comes with each one. Pae loves these cooked medium, not overcooked. I can't eat these just because of the bloody look ;)

Well, let it be known that if you are ever here in Bangkok (on the weekend, only open Sat. Sun.) and you wanna eat something pretty authentic, we'll try to take you here! Over the past ten years, we've watched the family business continue to be successful and watched their boys grow from buggar-picking busboys to strong, hard working young men.

1 comment:

mardenheyjude said...

Guy and Pae. I love your food post. Everything looks so good and I reckon it is all so tasty. Love always, Auntie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...