Thursday, March 6, 2014

Crossing Paths with a Brother

This past weekend I was able to visit with one of my all time best buddies, Woody. Woody and I served in the Marines together and could always be seen together in Hawaii before he left for an officer program. Woody went to school and became a Navy officer and is doing well.
He was in Thailand for a couple weeks on an exercise and let me know where he would be. He only had one day off, so I drove down to spend a couple hours with him. We really were only able to catch up and chit chat, not really enough time to do anything else.

When you catch up with someone after 20 years, it's not like just walking back into the same relationship you had when you were involved in each others' lives on a daily basis. Woody and I barely email each other once a year, perhaps on the Marine Corps Birthday in November and that's about it.

We exchanged a couple messages after I got back home from our visit and it occurred to me that I've actually seen him on more occasions that I have my own mother!! Or equal? Let's see, since I last saw him in the Marines in maybe 1993, I saw mom in 199x visiting after returning from Hawaii, Woody again in like 2002 in Park City, Woody in California in 2004,  Mom for BYU graduation in 2004, Woody in 2006ish in D.C., Mom in 2006 to drop off the cats...hmmm...Mom again in 2013 then Woody in 2014...about equal I'd say ;) So I've seen my own mom only 4 times in the past 20 years! Wow!! Love you, mom!!


1 comment:

mardenheyjude said...

It is always nice to get together with friends that you haven't seen in a while. It brings back memories of good times from the past. I am glad that you were able to visit with your buddy, even if it was only for a couple of hours.
I was reunited with my cousin a couple of years ago. We had not seen one another since we were teens. It has been many, many years since we were teens. Now we communicate via email and we have lunch together several times a year. It is nice talking with her about the "good old days". ;) Love always, Auntie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...