Sunday, May 12, 2013

2013 New York Vacation - 91st Street Garden



We started the New York leg of our trip to the states by wandering out to find a little garden that we are familiar with from the movie "You've Got Mail". This is the place in Riverside Park where Joe (Tom Hanks) and Kathleen's (Meg Ryan) characters finally meet (with Joe's dog Brinkley). 


This is one of our favorite movies as it is set in one of the most beautiful and diverse cities in the world and because the relationship between the two lead characters grows over time over the internet. Now, Pae and I had met in New York and started to get to know each other better via emails, chats and eventually phone calls, etc., but the gist of the romantic comedy has its similarities ;)


So, other than 42nd Street Port Authority, this was one of the mandatory visits of our trip!! All we were missing was a Brinkley ;)


And I'll end with a quote from the movie...There are many similarities and parallels with Pae and my courtship, relationship and eventual marriage:

"What will NY152 say today, I wonder. I turn on my computer. I wait impatiently as it connects. I go online, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You've got mail. I hear nothing. Not even a sound on the streets of New York, just the beating of my own heart. I have mail. From you."

2 comments:

mardenheyjude said...

I love this story. Next time I watch "You've Got Mail" I will be thinking of both of you. (I've only watched it about 10 times since it came out) Now, am I right to assume that you first met one another at the 42nd Street Port Authority?
Love always, Auntie

Mark Rogers said...

Hi... I'm the creator of otsoNY, which if you've never visited is a website dedicated to NYC film locations. I'm about to revisit the film location for YGM and to announce it, I'm posting a news story on the site. I've noticed that quite a few people like this film and are still tracking down the actual real locations used, one of which is you. Would you mind if I used your images and included some of your blog comments in the article?

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards
Mark

E: editor@onthesetofnewyork.com
W: www.onthesetofnewyork.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...