Wednesday, January 9, 2013

1,000 miles goal

I achieved my goal of running 1,000 miles (1,609 km) during 2012. I passed the 1,000 mile mark on December 1st and ended up taking a lot of time off after that, hahaha!

I ended up passing 1,700 km, 1,720 to be exact (1,068 miles)but the 1,609 was the important number.

Eric put the idea of trying to make 2,000 kilometers in 2013...but that's probably a little more than I want to run this year. I think it sounded good when I considered the races that I wanted to run this year; The North Face 100 Thailand, Pattaya for a second time, Bangkok for a third time and the Banana Marathon if they organize another one this year. With 4 marathons and ultras planned, it seemed like the training would certainly take me over 2,000 kilometers.

But I've recently decided that I wouldn't run The North Face 100 ultra trail marathon. I'm relatively healthy and still excited about running and want to do a big trail run, but the hotels in the area are all sold out and I don't want to try to find non-existent public transportation at 1am on race day.

Furthermore, the expense of training (going to Pattaya or Khao Yai to find trails to run) and equipment (Trail shoes, Hydration pack, head lamp, gu gels, etc.) is just too steep right now. Running used to be pretty cheap! Hahaha, until you start having to buy specialized equipment for your runs.

So, I'm looking for another longer run to run in January or February. There is a 55.5km run this weekend at Lumpini Park, organized by one of the running clubs I frequent (Bangkok Runners) but it's really too soon and I haven't run in a while really. The other two options are Marathons in Chom Bueng or Khon Kaen, which are each pretty far away from Bangkok...again, making accommodations a challenge. Chom Bueng is said to be one of the prettier courses in Thailand.

Well, I could run or I couldn't!! We'll let the weeks go by and see what happens! Maybe I'll gain some weight back if I take some more time off...and stop eating 7-11 meals twice daily ;)

7 comments:

Naomi Hanks said...

OR you and Pae can come out to Chicago in April to visit us and run the Illinois Marathon on April 27th! Just think, you would have a whole crowd of people who know you, cheering you on! PLUS! You would get to see all your crazy sisters who miss you desperately! Love you brother! and GREAT job on your miles last year! INCREDIBLE!

mardenheyjude said...

Guy: Congrats on achieving and passing your goal of running 1,000 miles in one year. That's a whole lot of miles.
The trail running sounds like it can be a very expensive hobby.
I look forward to hearing more about your running plans for this year once you decide. Love always, Auntie

Pae and Guy said...

Thanks Auntie!

Nomers, Chicago huh? Well, we'll see about that! Illinois Marathon huh? Sounds cool (literally cool!) What is the temperature up there in late April? How is the elevation there? The little elevation change between Bangkok and Khao Yai killed my lungs!

Love you Auntie and Sister Nomers!!

Naomi Hanks said...

Chris, Illinois is FLAT and this particular Marathon is known for being a super flat, super fast course! Here is the website with all the info on it: http://www.illinoismarathon.com/ I know Kevin is really interested in doing the "I Challenge" where you run a 5K the night before and then the marathon the next day. You earn 3 medals and 3 shirts! and besides all that, you can stay with us for FREE!

Naomi Hanks said...

And Becca and Taber might do it too!

Pae and Guy said...

Nomers, That sounds fun, the iChallenge. If we're able to make it (still haven't confirmed vacation dates = delay on trying to purchase flights at a reasonable price). So, who will be there? Who will be running? Who will be running what? Full runners? Half runners? Is there a 10K (convince Pae to run!)? I'd guess that the iChallenge would be what I'd be most interested in if we can make it, but both runs will be just "finish" runs for me as I know how cross-Pacific air travel and travel (pigging out on EVERYTHING) in general affects me. Oooooh, all this run-talk and my intestines are rumbling...off to the bathroom with me!! Tissue...where's my tissue?

Naomi Hanks said...

Hey Chris, so Rachel, Sarah, Liz, me, Becca, Taber, and Kevin will all for sure be here. Erin also might come. Kevin is planning on running the ichallenge with the 5K and full marathon. Taber might run the ichallenge with the 5k and half marathon. There is also a mini ichallenge with the 5K and 10K so Pae could definitely do that if she wanted to! I might try to convince all the girls to at least try the 5K, but we will see :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...