Sunday, November 25, 2012

Fourth and Final Marathon of 2012?

I'm still not 100% sure if I'll run The North Face 100 trail race in February, but I really want to do it. The expense that comes with this race is a little steep with lodging in the area, purchasing a required hydration system, trail shoes and running five 39+ kilometer training runs plus two trail half marathons down in Pattaya between now and February. Running is a fun hobby and very challenging, but I can't go breaking the bank just to run the races I wanna race. Heck, if that were the case, I'd be registered for the Great Wall of China Marathon, The Angkor Wat Half Marathon, The Singapore Marathon, The Chiang Mai Marathon and the Hong Kong Marathon!!

There is an interesting marathon (The Banana2U Marathon) being held on December 9th and I'm signed up for it already, Eric is gonna take a pass and run a half marathon instead. It's not your typical marathon, it's not a race. It's a group marathon that starts at 2:30 in the morning at Chulalongkorn University and runs at a relatively slow pace, as a group. It's intended to be somewhere around a five hour marathon. At the half way point, all registered half marathoners will join us and we will continue on our way towards the finish at Thammasat University. 12km from the finish, the 12K runners will join us and the group will run together to the finish!


It's more social than physical, although a 5 hour marathon is nothing to scoff at! I'll be using it as a training run as the thought of running five super long runs at Chatuchak Park is just too much. I love running at the park, but not a full marathon! So, the Banana 2U Marathon is meant to keep me moving and on my feet for 5-6 hours to try to simulate the same situation (minus hills) in February's trail race. If I run the February race, I hope to be able to finish within the 18 hour time limit, haha!!

No medals, no chip-recorded split times, but it's something different and I'm looking forward to it!

1 comment:

mardenheyjude said...

The Banana2U Marathon should be a piece of cake for you. You can take it easy and enjoy the run. I look forward to reading about how you do. I wish you Good Luck. As for the North Face 100 trail race in February, well that is extreme running. I watched a couple of Youtube videos on the trail races of last year and the trails are filled with rocks, roots of trees, and branches that you have to run over and around, etc. I also watched a video about having to change your running form to shorter strides when running the trails. If you decide to run it is going to be a great new adventure for you. The training alone will be intense. It must be exciting for you. Love always, Auntie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...