Saturday, February 18, 2012

School Valentine's Culture

I remember being in elementary school back a hundred or so years ago, and passing out Valentine's Day cards at school to every student in the class. Boys and girls. Flintstones Valentines, Smurf Valentines, Care Bear Valentines, My Little Pony Valentines, etc.Here in Thailand, there is no such tradition. Instead, the students buy heart-shaped stickers the day before and on Valentine's day they stick them to each other's school uniforms. Eventually, throughout the day, a student will go from nothing to a shirt full of hearts. I'm assuming that the more stickers you have, the more loved you are by your classmates. I did see one girl this year stick her stickers to her own shirt though, so that probably doesn't hold for all students!Here are some pictures of my sixth graders messing around near lunch time. Stickers all over them. The teachers will generally let the kids stick them but will not stick stickers on the kids. It's an interesting difference in cultures perhaps, or traditions...or just Valentine's Day is not as commercialized here...

2 comments:

mardenheyjude said...

I just have you ask, did any of the children stick stickers on you? haha Love always, Auntie

Pae and Guy said...

Of course!! ;) haha, yeah, I'm pretty tight with my sixth graders as I've been their homeroom teacher for several years already. They act like they don't like me, but deep down they love Teacher Guy! hahaha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...