Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Hong Kong Skyline

Ah, one of my favorite things about Hong Kong is it's iconic skyline! Hong Kong's skyline is unique in that it has so many tall modern buildings, is along the water and has mountains in the background as well. In the daytime, it looks immense. At night it glitters and shines up into the night sky as well as shimmers downwards on the choppy harbour waters. I challenge you to find a list of the world's top skylines, most beautiful skylines, most iconic skylines or any top ten list that excludes Hong Kong's! In fact, you may find it difficult to find many list that doesn't put Hong Kong's skyline as it's number one!The atmosphere, surrounded by hundreds gathered to partake of perhaps the city's top attraction (outside of eating and shopping), is unique. There is music on the Tsim Sha Tsui Promenade and Avenue of Stars (our chosen viewing point). I wonder what it would be like sitting on a small "junk", all alone in the middle of the harbour, sharing the sight with fewer people, just the sound of the small waves crashing against the hull and perhaps the distant grumbling of a hard-working tug boat?What's even cooler is that you can also view the skyline from the other side AND from above, if you make your way up to The Peak, on one of the previously mentioned mountains that provide a background on the island of HK.From The Peak, you get the skyline from a higher vantage point with the Kowloon waterfront also visible. The day we went up to The Peak was very smoggy and hazy, but we still got the experience of seeing Hong Kong from the alternate angle. Priceless.So, we did the skyline at nighttime from Kowloon, late afternoon from The Peak, and saw in as we left Hong Kong on a trip over to Macau in the morning from our high speed ferry. Other than seeing it from space, I'm not sure we could have seen in many other ways!! Looking at it cross eyed is double the fun!I have never made a "bucket list" of things I want to do or see in my lifetime, but Hong Kong harbour has always been one of the things that I've seen and wanted to experience. I was not disappointed, and what is even better is that Pae and I were able to share it with Mom and Dad ;)

2 comments:

mardenheyjude said...

Your pictures of Hong Kong's skyline are beautiful. I love them all. I also love the Boston skyline at night, especially viewing it from the Harvard bridge. There is so much history associated with Boston. I love the old Hancock building right in the middle of the skyline with it's red and blue weather beacon lights atop of the building. Do you know the poem associated with the weather beacon? Just in case you don't know it, here it is. Steady blue, clear view. Flashing blue, clouds due. Steady red, rain ahead. Flashing red, snow instead. Flashing blue and red, when the curse of the Bambino is dead. (2004then again 2007) Flashing red during baseball season means the Boston Red Sox game has been called off on account of weather.
Anyway, Hong Kong has to be number one in the world. Boston is not even close to it. I like Boston for the obvious reasons. Love always, Auntie

Tau said...

What a cool experience! I'm getting hungry just thinking about all of the food. But I'm sure I'm used to the Americanized version of Chinese food.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...