Monday, August 23, 2010

Two different worlds

I cruised around while the kids were getting ready for lunch today and took two pictures. I was surprised as I walked around the lunch tables that all of the plates looked exactly the same, with a slice of mango, a spoonful of rice, some meat sauce and a scoop of soup...Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but school lunch in America is much more hearty than this right!? Yeah, I though I had just came across a super small portion, but it's pretty much like this for each plate.I did see women walking around with pots of rice and the students could raise their hands and get an extra scoop! There are some chubbsters here, but child obesity is not as big a problem, yet, as it is in the states. I guess starving the kids helps in that regard. We think it's just a ploy to get them to buy the fried chicken and fried hotdogs and french fries that they sell after lunch for 5-10 baht a piece!!

4 comments:

Naomi Hanks said...

Holy cow! I would never make it through the day on those portion sizes!

mardenheyjude said...

OMG!!! These kids must be starving all the time. I would be fainting from lack of food before the school day was over.I would be running to buy the fried chicken and hot dogs and fries. I will think of these kids next time I sit down to eat my American lunch. It makes me stop and think.

Pae and Guy said...

They get their food one way or another! They have so much energy and areconstantly running around making trouble...perhaps thanks to the unhealthy food vendors.

I asked GM, who is a little plump, if it bothers him to be given such a small portion. He told me that the food is horrible anyways, and if they give a lot, and the kids don't eat it, they get in trouble for being wasteful, and forced to eat everything on the tray. So he'd rather get a little and only have to stomach a tiny bit of crap food.

Beccarigg said...

Oh my gosh! That is insane! I'm starving just looking at it. I seriously thought that was the crumbs of someone's leftover plate! yikes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...