Saturday, August 14, 2010

JJ Market Characters

Here are a couple pictures of some JJ Market performers. I've seen Captain Jack pretty much every time I've gone. Today was the first time I've ever been there alone, usually Pae and I go together. Captain Jack was chattin' on his celly in his real Thai voice...When he hung up, I approached him and said in Thai, "Cap'n Jaaaaack...Can I take a picture?" CJ, speaking English, was all..."Yeah, just leave some money for the children" in his half drunk, in character, Cap'n Jack voice and pointed to a little donation box by his little stand where he sells handmade jewelery.I dropped him (and the kids) a 20 (baht) and he posed in his best Cap'n Jack pose for me. He's pretty funny, and he even smiled a Johnny Depp smile/smirk as he checked to see if the photo turned out to his liking! He then, limp wristedly, waved me away, hahaha.The next dude I've seen several times as well, usually singing funny songs in a woman's voice. Today he was singing Mother's Day songs since Thursday was Mother's Day here in Thailand. He had a crowd of people, foreigners as well as Thais, around him for almost a half hour straight, people were laughing and he was singing and everyone was having a great time.These guys are fun to watch, especially since the rest of the folks at JJ who are soliciting tourist's money are poor legless men and woman crawling along the ground with a tin cup collecting donations, severe burn victims, eyeless grandmas, or college students collecting money for a school project or animal shelters. I'm not saying that these people don't need the money, I just feel so bad for them sometimes when I see them. Well, not the college students, but the people with lives changed by some horrible accident or disaster. It's said that these people make over a thousand baht per day begging...much more than the average worker's wage here in Thailand. Unfortunately, people say that many of them are "pimped out" by the mafia. I believe it. It makes their situations more pitiful and sad.

2 comments:

mardenheyjude said...

I would rather watch the fun character myself. It is a shame how dishonest people use the less fortunate ones for their income. Your Captain Jack must be a riot and I bet he makes a few baht for himself and the kids. Bet the other character singing in the women's voice was intertaining as well. This is quite an outside marketplace you have there.Love always, Auntie

Tau said...

Nice...sounds like an adventure everyday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...