Friday, July 30, 2010

Flower bulb resuscitation

A year ago, after a seminar downtown for school, I picked up a couple potted flower plants and brought them home. Each of them had between one to three flowers. They were like a cross between a lily and orchid...I'm still not sure what they are called. They are a bulb flower and as such, they soon got brown and "died".I let the three pots with cracked soil sit out on the balcony for 9-10 months until I got sick of looking at them. I decided I finally needed to throw the pots and soil away...as I was dumping them, I noticed that the bulbs, which I had to pry from the rock solid soil, still looked kinda edible! Of course I didn't eat them, but I did decide to throw them back in some soil and try to revive them.I watered them and watered them for the past few months and finally leaves started to sprout from the soil. Yesterday, the first blossom emerged and now adorns our balcony, greeting the morning sun and soaking up the afternoon rain. Brightens the place...

1 comment:

Naomi Hanks said...

Wow! That's really beautiful...in more ways than one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...