Wednesday, July 28, 2010

An apple for the teacher?

Yeah, the classroom scene you see in the movies would usually include, as a prop, a bright, shiny red apple on the teacher's desk, presumably given to the teacher before class by a student.My homeroom class this year often brings me a piece of squid, dug out of the bottom of the package with their wet hand and the occasional Starbucks blueberry muffin...but today I was surprised by the gift of two giant som-oh (ส้มโอ) or pomeloes. These are giant citrus fruits that grow over here and are just coming into season.I jokingly asked the kid, "are those limes?" and he told me that they were som-oh not limes...he didn't quite get my funny! The pomelo is grapefruity in texture but tastes a little sweeter I think. The peel is super thick so the inside fruit isn't as massive as you would expect by looking at it. These two came from the student's yard, picked by his dad, and are probably under average size...I've seen humongous ones. I'll find out later if these are white flesh or pink inside. Thanks buddy!

2 comments:

Naomi Hanks said...

wOW! Those are bigger than your head...literally! Hope they tasted good!

Beccarigg said...

What the..?! That thing is a monster! You must've felt really special, the bigger the fruit the better the teacher (so I've been told... ; )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...