Thursday, June 17, 2010

Classwork: Oil Spill in the Gulf

I was thinking about putting some classwork on another blog for parents and students to be able to access, but for now I figured I'd just stick some up here...I'll make a simple blogger blog for them when I have the time and motivation.Sometimes we'll take current events and try to see what it has to do with science. Sometimes the kids are surprised how science touches pretty much everything in their lives, everything on the news and well...EVERYTHING!! Lets just say it's a lot more difficult convincing a kid how calculus is connected to their lives!!Here are some drawings the kids did showing how they think the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico affects the environment and people in the area. Before you kill me for my bad grammar, I'll own it...I tend to misuse affect and effect!! Probably why I'm teaching science, not English!Most kids seemed to pick up on not only the environmental effect, but also the economic one. They don't watch too much news, they only hear what their parents talk about at this age...and not many of their parents talk about much outside of Thailand honestly.With a little more exposure to world events, whether we try to relate it to science, social studies, history, health or whatnot...hopefully they will be able to expand their vision beyond their homes, school and video game rooms.

2 comments:

Naomi Hanks said...

Cool activity Chris. It was fun to see the pictures your students drew and how they were all concerned about not having food and money. Its a great start to a generation of environmentalists! :)

Beccarigg said...

Cute pics. I like how they all drew X's for the dead eyes : ) I always thought it was cool when teacher's brought current events into the curriculum and made them relevant. Way to be an awesome teacher!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...