Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Signs II

Seems, no matter where we go, there are the coolest stores for "Plus sized" women. I know in the states we are so politically correct and tend to call these stores "full figured" stores and give them names that, someone who was not familiar with the brand would have no clue that it sold clothing for larger women...I mean, Lane Bryant?? That's so not telling me that this is a store where I can buy larger outfits! Okay, there is "Big and Tall" for men, but men aren't as sensitive as women...for the most part at least.

Here though, if you have a giant pimple on your face, the lady at 7-11 will be all "That'll be 22 baht...Dude, you have a giant pimple on your face" to which I've found the best reply is not the wide-eyed surprise/horrified look followed by screaming and running out with my Big Gulp, but to proudly smile and blurt out an excited "Yes!"Same goes for weight. You gain a couple kilos, you get harassed for days by people you haven't seen in a while, "Wow, you've gotten fat!" No shame, no ill-intent...people just being straight forward and telling it how it is.On that note, we were shopping last week for luggage and passed these two stores for larger women. I Give you "Calorie Plus" and "Lovely Plump". And I thought last week's "Fat Story" took the cake! I'm sensitive enough and understand where "FAT" can be hurtful, but "Plump"?? Plump is so cute!

3 comments:

Naomi Hanks said...

Oh my heck! That is So funny! I love the Lovely Plump sign because it has all those chubby ballerinas on it. HA Ha Ha! So awesome!

Beccarigg said...

Yeah Rachel said it was the same way in Japan, if you gained weight they would tell you right to your face! Part of me thinks that would be nice, because you know people are always being straight with you. But part of me thinks it would suck too!
"you're fat!"
"yeah, I know, everyone else has already told me!"

Rachel Uda Murdock said...

Yeah it was the same. I remember the counselor in the bishopric pointing to all my zits and saying "pinch pop, pinch pop."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...