Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Now 68 years...

We were watching a Japanese series last night and the episode we watched was set in Honolulu, Hawaii. They showed scenery from all over the island though and I think many of the views of Diamond Head were taken from somewhere near the Pearl Harbor area. It looked so inviting, so beautiful, so peaceful...much like the Hawaii I left years ago.

December 7th marks the day that Pearl Harbor was attacked 68 years ago. It seems like only yesterday that I posted this blog...time flies.

When I think about that day, I imagine families planning to sleep in late on Sunday morning and wake up to go picnic on the beach followed by Christmas shopping, just a couple weeks before Christmas...only to be woken by the sound of fighter planes, exploding bombs, chaos, sirens...It must have totally changed not only their holidays, but their lives...

Today I remember them, and the generation of men and women who fought, those who supported from home, those who sacrificed their youth and many their lives on the battlefield.

I'm glad that I remember this date every year, It's an important day to me, I'm not sure why, I mean, I don't "celebrate" Pearl Harbor Day...I remember it...I can say though, that along with the September 11ths (9/11) and June 6ths (D-Day), I hope we aren't given any reason to remember any other dates such as these.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...