Monday, November 2, 2009

Hell Week

This week is what I'm calling "Hell Week" for Pae in her flight attendant training. She is basically testing for the next week solid, with little sleep, no free time and lots of pressure. She's done well not to boil up to this point.

The good thing is that she's not doing it alone...there are around 18 other new recruits who she is training with and suffering with and they've become very close in a very short amount of time. I think that the people in each of their established social circles, for the most part, have little idea what they are going through, even after hearing the stories, so in a way can't relate. This draws them closer to each other because they are going through the same experience, difficulty, challenge...they lean on each other.

I think, along with getting great experience as a flight attendant, Pae will also take a bunch of close, life-long friends from this time in her life. Although they man never fly together (usually there is only one junior F/A per flight) they have the "Flight Attendant boot camp" bond that they will always share!

Today is the Loy Kratong festival here in Thailand...one we've celebrated together for several years running now...this looks to be the first one that we won't be able to celebrate in the traditional way, but passing these certification tests are much more important for Pae...and being on 22 hour days, awake and under stress, I think floating a banana leaf boat with candles, flowers and incense is the last thing on her mind!

As far as her training, I'm not sure really how much I should make public in a blog...I'm sure the information is out there as far as aircraft schematics and emergency procedures...but just to be safe, I'll keep it at a minimum.

Good luck Puppy Girl!!

3 comments:

Naomi Hanks said...

WOW! Sounds tough Pae! I will keep you in my prayers and wish you the best! Good luck with everything!

And good luck to you too Chris! I know with all her long work days, you are missing your puppy terribly! :)

Beccarigg said...

That stinks big time. I remember when Taber was studying for the GMAT and he actually took a whole weeks vacation just to study! It was definitely a hell week but paid off in the end. I'm sure Pae appreciates all your support, you're such a good fiance : )
p.s. Taber and I were laughing so hard at your hamburger helper stink breath comment! So glad you had some comfort food to get you through the week : )

Liz Uda Mucci said...

oh that totally sucks chris... if it's any constellation she is super cute in her little outfit. Keep your head up. you're being a good sport. It is super hard to be apart from the one you love. tell pae We said good luck.
love you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...