Friday, August 7, 2009

Friday Foto - August 7, 2009

I call this photo "To protect and sit".

I was stopped in traffic the other day on the bus, dozing off, sweating...

During a brief moment of consciousness I saw this cop out of the corner of my eye. He was directing traffic...from a swivelling bar stool. By the time I finished laughing to myself and got my camera out of my backpack, he had already grabbed his "traffic chair", waved traffic on and moved out of the way of the oncoming cars.

I know these guys are out there during the morning and afternoon rushes, but this was the first time I had noticed one of them sitting, in the middle of the road, on a stool.

Most of the traffic cops stand in the median or turnabouts and just step in front of oncoming traffic when they want it to stop. At many other intersections with traffic lights, the cops either sit in a small shack, controlling the lights, or in a covered chair that looks like a lifeguard lookout from the beach. But these seats are shaped like a police helmet. One in Hua Hin is shaped like a tiny McDonalds...

My favorite cop is one who directs traffic on the way to The Mall. He stands there doing Michael Jackson moves with cars and buses screaming past him...He even wears a face mask and wears white gloves. He's quite the entertainer, although his gloves aren't studded with sequins and I have yet to see him pull a moon walk or grab his crotch.

Feliz Fridaydad!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...