Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Desmond Stewart and Jesse Zimbauer

Udz, Stew Birdy and the Big JZ (at least that's what the girls called him...still haven't figured out why?)Okay, I was doing some housekeeping today and cleaning up my "www footprint" a little bit. Meaning that I was looking at all of my "social networking sites" and deciding which one or which ones I wanted to delete. I got to doing it and kept finding all of these pictures.Many of them were from my time in the Marines, an adventure which started 20 years ago this Thursday, the day I shipped out to boot camp. A common thread in most of these photos from 1989-1994 were two Marines who I studied Korean with at the Defense Language Institute in Monterrey California. Two guys who, with me as a third, were sometimes as different as pearls and poo, and often (behaviorally) like peas in a pod.I've had many friends, best friends, buddies, accomplices, and cohorts in my life, but my couple years in California, Texas, Hawaii and even Korea with these two goof-offs, borders on legend. I may be getting a little carried away with that last "legend" statement but in my mind we were like the Dukes of Hazard, The Skipper, Gilligan and the Professor, and Menudo all rolled into one! (Menudo reference...I kill me!!)I give you, Stew Bird and The Big JZ! (mentioned previously)If either one of you ever read this, I want you to know that I've lost most of the pictures we ever took, but these are some of those that I was able to save, or ones that people have posted other places online. Individually, you are both (were at least) a couple of gems. But, when the three of us ended up in the same room, vehicle or even mere conversation, it was priceless!As for this particular entry in this blog's history, I'll leave the stories and anecdotal evidence of our awesomeness for later...or for Carmen, Kris and anyone else who happens to be fortunate enough to have experienced such wackiness, to document and share in the form of a comment. You know..."I remember once, when..."Uda, Tauna Dix, Carmen, Jesse...hats are great accessories!I'm not sure if this was Carmen's bf or what, but dude was like, WAY into the "I'm cool" routine.Nice wheels, not ours! Jesse's VW Bug is visible on the opposite corner! Nothing beats the back of a bug!Jesse's bug again in the background near the Army barracks. Uda, Jesse and Kris.
Did we hula everywhere we went in public? Was this at the Hilton?

6 comments:

Beccarigg said...

Hula pic and hat pic are my favorites. You are SO a product of the 80's! hahahaha! Seriously though, I can't believe that was 20 years ago! You've aged well : )

Titan and I said...

I concur....the hat pic is f'ing hilarious. What's dude wearing on the left? Sweats? Classy

Pae and Guy said...

That would be elastic waist, drawstring, acid washed jeans....Yes we owned the 80's! ...and will likely never live it down!

Desmond "Stewbird" Stewart said...

Udz, you owe me a new keyboard. I both blew coffee through my nose when I first saw these pictures (hillarious) and then vomited from sheer embarrassment for having dressed like that....and what's up with those haircuts we sported? - Stewbird

Pae and Guy said...

Yeah Stew, Who's blood did we wipe on our faces on that Korean Class picnic? Yours or Jesse's?

Good times buddy! You're a legend!

Moxy Jane said...

Yes, that was my then-boyfriend, Todd. Can you believe it was his sense of style that first caught my eye?! Lordy, lordy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...