Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Back to School - No Writing with Your Ass

So, there I was, laying down the science class rules with my sixth graders on the first day of school (Thursday). As we went through science safety and class rules, I asked the kids (very small class of 6) if there were any additions or changes to the rules that they felt needed to be made.

With a straight face, Looktan, typically a pretty innocently humorous girl, chimed in with "No spelling vocabulary words with our ass."

My eyes widened as I surveyed the other 5 students to see if they understood what had been said. Two of them nodded in agreement, while one kid, from the states picked his jaw off of his desk. I looked at him and smiled, he smiled back and comforted me with "Teacher Guy, it's okay, an ass is a donkey."

I nodded, smiled and turned to Looktan and told her that "bottom" would probably be the more appropriate word.**Background on why she said "No spelling vocabulary words with our ass."
Last year, as fifth graders and as the smallest class in the school, we were able to have more one on one time and teachers are able to employ different methods of learning. One such method was through games. I'm not a big game player, but I remembered one from Korea where the losing team of a game had to get up, lock arms, and spell words with their bums. It's pretty funny to see people dotting their "i"s and crossing their "t"s!

The game served as motivation to the kids, as they didn't want to be the ones standing on a chair in front of the rest of the class, which has windows on both sides and faces three other classrooms, spelling "photosynthesis" or "paramecium" with their bottom sides!

I have no idea where she got "ass" from. I'm totally innocent there! :) They'e sixth graders. I should be happy that "ass" is the worst thing outside of "buffalo" and "lizard" I've heard from them.

2 comments:

Beccarigg said...

LOL! You have such a fun job. : )

Pae and Guy said...

As you know, 90% of the time it's a super fun job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...