Wednesday, March 4, 2009

North Korean Propaganda Leaflets

When I was in Korea as a Marine, I was lucky enough to do a lot of exercises relatively close to or on the DMZ. In the early 90's I was there for three different exercises. I was actually there for Det-3 three times and Team Spirit once, so technically two different exercises.

As we did our thing, atop snow covered mountains, I would often come across small leaflets with Korean text. Some of them had pictures. I asked one of the Koreans what it was, what it said, etc., and he told me that it was a DPRK propaganda leaflet. Illegal for a Korean soldier to keep. They were actually rewarded with time off if they found a bundle and gave them to their unit commander. The North sent these things up in weather balloons towards the south. Eventually they would pop or be popped and the leaflets would flutter down to whatever was below. I found most of mine very close to the DMZ. One I found as far south as Ouijongbu. There is a small U.S. Army base there called Camp Red Cloud where our HQ set up operations in 1992.Turns out that the North Koreans print these small dollar bill size leaflets, singing the praises of their great leaders, Kim Il Song and his son Kim Jong Il. Many of the leaflets make reference to the U.S. and its role in the instability in the region and the South Korean governments role in keeping the peninsula divided.

These are two of the leaflets that I still have. I think over the years I found over 15 of these. My really cool ones with art on them have disappeared unfortunately. These two are talking of how cool Kim Jong Il is, how he's the future of a reunified Korea, blah blah...your basic "our dude is GOD and you suck butt" propaganda.

Here is a picture from 1993 or 1994 showing the appropriate response to such slurs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your service! I collected a dozen or so of these leaflets while there,(2nd Div. Infantry)and came across your site researching them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...