Thursday, January 8, 2009

Joke Inappropriate for 6th Graders?

Yesterday I was teaching my sixth grade students about some of the ways that electricity is produced other than by burning fossil fuels. I got into how people use windmills to harness the power of wind and dams to use the flow of water to produce electricity. They all pretty much understood after I showed them a diagram of a turbine used in dams.
As a warm up for class though, I decided to tell them one of my favorite jokes.

The joke is a simple word play...

"A salmon was swimming up a river when he suddenly bumped his head. What did the salmon say when he hit his head?"

The answer, of course, is "Dam!"

As I gave the punchline to my ESL 6th graders I slammed my hand on the whiteboard and acted like I banged my head also...just for a little visual as ESL students learn a lot through visual means(body language, facial expressions, etc.) in combination with spoken language.

Anyway, now I have a bunch of 6th graders running around the school crashing into walls shouting "Dam!"

I'm just waiting for the principal or a parent to approach me and ask me what my problem is! For a class of kids who are not native speakers, I felt that they "got" the joke...but perhaps they got it too well.

2 comments:

Beccarigg said...

LOL! That's hilarious! Leave it to you to teach a bunch of innocent kids to swear ; )

Pae and Guy said...

Muhahaha!

BTW, Dam is NOT a swear word little sister!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...