Saturday, December 6, 2008

Paintings of Thai Temples


These paintings are of what people say are the 12 Thai temples that you must visit in your lifetime. I'm not sure if you "must" visit them for religious reasons, like some pilgrimage or if they are just so cool that you gotta see them.

Each of the 12 paintings also incorporates the Asian zodiac. Western astrology generally has a different symbol for each month. Asian astrology on the other hand goes by year...hence "Year of the Dragon" etc. I was born in the Year of the Pig, Pae Year of the Rat. We are currently in the Year of the Rat.

I stuck the paintings in a collage with the name of the astrological symbol for each. The calendar I got these paintings from, written in Thai, tells also the city and province the temple is located in. Most of them are in the mountainous northern provinces. What better setting for a temple than atop a mountain!

I'm not into astrology at all, but I thought that the paintings were great and I think I should start ticking the temples off of my list. The paintings look much better full screen.

1 comment:

Moxy Jane said...

That would make a gorgeous postcard!! do you mind if I print it out for the girls' geography club scrapbook?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...