Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Tears of Joy/Patriotism



As I sat waiting for my first period class, I saw that PA was projected for Obama.
**Step one.

Looked at the clock and knew I had to go to class.

Between my first and second classes I stopped down to see the Electoral College tally. I was surprised to see many news organizations had projectd Barack winner in Ohio, and I saw he was holding his own in VA, FL, and IN.

**My heart started beating faster and I could barely tear myself away from the internet, knowing that the west coast would put him over the 270 target

I came down from my last class and looked at the updates and I saw the picture above on ABC news's website...President Obama. I wasn't sure how I would feel when this was all over. Now I know.

**As I sat alone in the teachers room, I found tears of joy welling up in my eyes and my chest filled with pride and patriotism. As I flipped site to site and read the headlines, "Obama to befome first black president" and "Obama wins", I couldn't help feeling that feeling when you watch the olympics and hear the national anthem when we win gold, that feeling when you watch your team celebrate a championship in baseball, football or basketball...that awesome feeling. Good thing my students weren't around...they might interpret the tears as softness, then I'd have torture then the rest of the week as they would undoubtedly do the same to me! Tough guy Teacher Guy!!!

1 comment:

Rachel Uda Murdock said...

That's awesome Chris. I too was crying as I watched the reactions of people around the country. Jesse Jackson in particular got to me with his tear stained face. It definitely felt like I was watching history unfold and it was awesome to be a part of it, as one of the hopeful participants, not one of the fearful resistors.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...